Dating sights canada
Built in 1671 following the Great Fire as a Livery Hall for the Vintners Company.
Two swans decorate the entrance marking an ancient privilege granted by Edward l V in 1473 to the Vintners Company of owning swans on the river.
The Temple Bar Memorial to the north of the site marks the traditional boundary between the Cities of London and Westminster.
Founded in 1624 as a meeting house for the Anglican Church Clergy.
Opened in 1951 for the Festival of Britain, the concert hall seats up to 2,930 - has a bookshop and a number of restaurants.
It is now part of the South Bank Centre, together with (9) Queen Elizabeth Hall, Purcell Room and (11) Hayward Gallery.
Their name comes from the Knights Templar, founded in 1100 for the protection of pilgrims travelling to the Holy Land.
It takes its name from the Duke of Somerset who started a palace on this site in 1547. This includes two of the four Inns of Court - the Middle Temple (in whose Elizabethan Hall Shakespeares Twelfth Night was performed in 1601) and the Inner Temple.
Designed by Charles Barry and the underlying genius of Pugin who was responsible for all the decorative work.
The buildings occupied the site of the old Royal Palace of Westminster which had burnt down in 1834.
Its stone pillars shaped like the pulpits of a church echo the 12th century Benedictine monastery whose monks black habits gave the area its name. Work started in 1675 during the reign of Charles ll to replace the old St Pauls destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666.
Its 365ft (110m) high dome is slightly smaller than St Peters in Rome.